Saturday, March 26, 2005

The journey to the ends of the world

Well my dear Messiuers and Mesdammes the title did get your attention na, well i regret to inform y'all that this journey is only to the ends of Kerala (not the end of the world).This has nothing to do with the trip to the jungles of bang which will come soon enough so watch this space..


Well i set out with my ridiculously tall pal Rashid and quite a few other guys on my first trip to Malabar. Many (i was sure jealousy played a part in their decisions) er .. well meaning pals and gals tried to dissuade me but my mind was made up and i set forth with many expectations..

I always knew my fanatic devotion (others call it addiction) to Payasam would get me into trouble sooner or later but i hadn't expected it so soon..

Know my good friend did warn me the trip would take a long tome and we would reach home only by midnight so i took suitable precautions ( in the form of half a dozen selected novels).. little knowing what awaited me..

When we reached the railway station and the other guys told me all the people on the platform were waiting to board the same train i panicked (I already had reservations about travelling for the first time in the general compartment). The rest of the guys reassured me it was no big deal when i asked them to book tickets in the sleeper section. Finally with great reservation i let them persuade me.

The train did arrive and we scrambled (that is the apt word believe you me) to get on board.My buddies had lemme get on board first me being the proverbial first timer and a with a few of the guys hanging on for dear life to the door handles the train trundled of. I and a few of the guys who were er.. lucky enough to get into the compartment stood practically jammed ( i swear to God (just a figure of speech i aint much of a believer) we couldn't move a muscle.

Then in the midst of this solid mass of humanity he erupted.. A short fat man flew through the space(through which i could have sworn nothing more than a feather could get through) scattering people hither thither. He was virtually unstoppable our Bombay guy on his way to the toilet.
I learnt a valuable lesson "Nature is very powerful.. When nature calls ya better go.. nobody nothing can ever stop you "

After an eternity of travelling in veritable hell (it was actually about an hour and a half but it sure as hell seemed a lot longer)
we reached Trichur station and a tide swept out and before the next mad tide of humanity swept in i adroitly squirmed into a seat. Then takin pity on my serously tall pal i let him sit and sat myself on his lap.. The rest of the trip i steadfastly ignored everything else and read THE ALCHEMIST and half of THE PET SEMATARY believe you me it wasnt as frightening as the train trip..

My buddy's in a hurry so keep watching this space for the sequel to the ADVENTURES IN THE JUNGLES OF BANG

No comments: